Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Great Escape, Jack and Dimitri

Three whistling ducks are padding across the paddock. I can often hear them in the middle of the night as they fly over. Flying ducks are quite extraordinary. They are heavy creatures with comparatively short wings which they flap hard yet they are fast, strong and fly long distances in the dark. Aeronautical design seems somewhat deficient yet they overcome this with ease.

I was driving home after dark a few weeks ago and saw a large flock of ducks flying swiftly across the night sky. What did they see from up there? How did it feel with the cold wind of their speed fresh in their nostrils? There was moonlight and I imagine the paddocks and fields and trees and black square blocks with amber lights shining was a thrilling sight in that swift silver silence.

Our whippets, Jamaica and Radar, had a view of the night last night. Sometime around three they sighted a wallaby (we suspect as wallabies have been coming down to feed on the verges now that winter frosts have killed the grass elsewhere). They must have bolted after it and being so fast hardly felt the jolt from the radio collars they wear. We got in the truck and drove the roads but they were no where in sight. They didn't come home at dark. R went to a party we'd committed to while I stayed home and listened for the sound of the sleigh bells they wear on their collars. We'd turned the fence off so if they did come home they wouldn't be zapped on the way in. R got home at 9:30 and they still hadn't returned By eleven, with frost on the ground, they were back, curled tightly in their beds as both had lost their coats. I was so relieved to see them. When I went out Radar did the oddest thing. He got out of his bed, came over with his tail scrunched between his legs and pressed his forehead against my legs. I wasn't mad at him. I wasn't mad at either of them. Disappointed yes, as now we have to chain them at 3 when the wallabies start to wander in, but not angry. Was it contrition on Radar's part, or relief at being home. It wasn't gladness at seeing me as his tail was tucked so hard. I gave him a cuddle. Smelled him. He smelled like wallaby so I can only hope the gamey smell was only because he'd gone bush and not for some more sinister reason. No blood on either of them. Radar has a sore dew claw pad and a ding on his hock. Other than that they both seem fine. Exhausted but fine.

Jack the cockatoo has improved physically. We put him on antibiotics for a week because despite there not appearing to be infection in his foot it was still sore. He's also still on coccivet. Once a poo sample has been examined this week a decision will be made whether to continue with it or not. Psychologically he's a different bird too; far more territorial and aggressive. He was on the ground last week and I went in to give him his breakfast. He wasted no time and went for me, head lowered and running fast. I caught him with my ugh boot and lifted/tossed him backwards, very gently of course but enough to thwart his advances. I had to do it five times, never violently but then again I couldn't let his challenge go unmet either. This morning when I took his breakfast in, wearing my tall ugh boots, he was on the ground. He watched but he did not challenge.

I read in the bird click files about how one woman who had a very aggressive parrot clicked every movement (lifting of the head and neck, etc) that was not aggressive. I am working on that with Jack. There is a small but significant problem; he isn't very enthusiastic about the treats. I'm using almond which seems, by a small margin, to be the most popular, sunflower seeds (which I've just started leaving out of his food bowl altogether) and pumpkin seeds. I break the almonds up into pieces and serve them on a long wooden spoon to keep fingers safe.

Just went outside and he was on the front perch. It's lovely to see him using the entire aviary. When he was unwell he pretty much stayed in one or two spots. Now he's on the ground excavating holes and using all the perches as well as climbing the cage. Losing his second toenail hasn't seemed to make a difference. Anyway, I offered almond treats and he took them but without enthusiasm. Am going to check the bird click files to see what others have used.

As for Dimitri, he's going well. He's been taking millet from my fingers as I sit on the floor. There are incremental improvements in his confidence. Each time I go onto the verandah I toss him some millet so even though he always hops down from his perch and takes off he is quicker to turn around and approach me. He has also let me come closer when cleaning the floor (on hands and knees) before he moves away. These are small things but still encouraging.

A month or so ago R built him a penthouse. Because Dimitri was falling off perches alot we grounded him. None of his perches are more than a foot off the ground. It keeps him safe but is quite sad to keep this bird of the air anchored to earth. I was trying to think of some way we could allow him some height yet keep him safe. The result was The Penthouse. We took an old compost bin, tall, black and narrow, but a wide hole in the base and smaller holes around the sides to let in light. Inside we put in a wooden ladder, cut off the top of the bin and placed a cocky cage on top. Unfortunately Dimitri disdained to use it. Yesterday we updated it; made another large hole opposite the entrance and replaced the ladder, which had a solid light blocking first 2 rungs, with another lighter one. This morning Dimitri had an explore. Was wonderful to see him up high where he could see out, yet safe. With the bottom of the cocky cage intact, save for the entrance hole, even if he jumps in fear from a perch he is not going to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment