Sunday, July 21, 2013

Aw shucks,

Because I did a favour for a friend and took some art of hers into the Gatton Show, I decided I'd enter the pastel drawing of our neighbour's feline, Alley Cat.  Cost $3 and I was going  there anyway. 
     Karen is a skilled artist, skilled in many mediums.  She had two pastel drawings, one of a friend's little girl and another of a possum.  She also entered a watercolour painting of  turtles from a photo taken while she was in SE Asia.  That watercolour was the best I thought.  It was realistic but because the turtles with the patterns on their shells were crowded and swimming above and below one another it was almost abstract. 
     While I was there filling in the paperwork I saw other work that had been entered.  Thought why in the world did I bring this painting of mine.  So many skilled artists, so much beautiful work.  The woman who was there before me had paintings of a green tree frog, a tortoiseshell cat and a mountain scene (painted on a new paper, yupo paper).  They were all good.  She talked freely of how she might win at one show but not at another, it all depends on the judge.  She knew Karen's work as well, 'she wins alot', she said.  I went home knowing I'd provided variety but with no hope of winning anything.
      You know what's coming.  I won first prize (and $20) for pastel paintings.  Can't believe it.  I shouldn't be proud but I am.  Years ago I'd entered a pencil drawing of a bearded dragon.  I thought then and still think it was a good work.  Didn't get a mention.  Sent it to Tam for her birthday, a little reminder of Australia as she was quite taken with our little lizard friends.  This painting, titled Glamour Puss because it reminds me of those l980's glamour shots women used to get which look so dated and sad now, is just another cat picture.  Enough skiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment