Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Right Now I'm Grateful

"Right Now"  I am enjoying this exercise as it gets me writing again.  Read yesterday that 80% of people would like to publish a book.  I used to but now realize it's not something I care enough about to make the effort.  It's like drawing/painting - the joy is in the doing not the doing with one eye on a publishing contract or a gallery show.  Sure, I would love to be 'discovered' but it ain't gonna happen so may as well settle back and enjoy the ride.

Recently I'd been getting anxious about the state of the world and the monumental stupidity of humans.  Thinking 'good thoughts' wasn't working nor was the anxiety eased by recalling the many wonderful unselfish caring acts of everyday people.  Those thoughts were swamped by global warming, fracking, Syria, Somalia, Egypt, the USA (esp,. the USA which should know better!), Tony Abbott, Putin, Cambell Newman, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, ad nauseum, even ad infinitum!  The world committing a slow and excruciating suicide when we have the means, the know how, the intelligence to turn it all around.   All we lack is the will.

Even me.  Had an email from GetUp Australia.  Would I organize a rally for November 17 to protest against global warming?  No, I would not.  It still bothers me that I'm one of the guilty ones who allow evil to flourish because good women do nothing.  I sign every peition, write letters and send money but don't really put myself out there.

More anxiety.

Then I remembered the sure fire, fool proof way to happiness.  Gratitude.  I'd forgotten to be grateful - grateful for everything from my breath, to my bed, to my food, husband, this house, this table - and the storms coming our way, possibily severe according to the news, but which will bring much needed rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment