Monday, May 25, 2015

Rupert the Healthy Lorikeet

Rupert released himself this morning.  Yesterday I left the door to the aviary open all day (but closed it for the night) in case he wanted to fly.  He chose to lurk around the shelter, the one place that isn't exposed to the predatory gaze of overhead predators.  Even standing at the door rather than flying away he flew in

This morning was different.  He had 8ml at 7am.  At 8:30 I went out to give him a top up.  The door was open.  As yesterday, I brought him out to feed him.  After 4ml he didn't want anymore.  He became a little agitated, climbing around my jacket and around my neck.  I was standing at the door but when he took off he went around the aviary and disappeared over the dam paddock.  I've seen him take a victory lap and have heard him since but he hasn't come for any food.

I am hopeful that he will join up with the two semi-regular adult lorikeet visitors who can show him the ropes and also help to protect him while he adapts to life in the wild. 

He is such a dear little fellow, quite talkative and affectionate and if I believed in birds for pets I would not hesitate in turning him into one.  Fortunately I believe birds, the ultimate symbol of freedom, deserve just that.

Go Rupert!

No comments:

Post a Comment