Thursday, September 10, 2015

For weeks I worked on a large drawing, used up a couple of coloured pencils, kept trying to find a way to make it work but it was just throwing good time after bad.  There comes a point when I just had to say it's crap and it's always going to be crap.  So I burned it.

What a relief!  As soon as the paper charred and smoke curled up the chimney a weight lifted.  Sometimes I think the credo to reduce reuse and recycle weighs too heavily so that any art work attempted has to be worthy.  Sometimes frankly, it is not.  Just have to let it go and let go of the demands on myself for *perfection*. 

Art is an exploration, my exploration of my world and myself.  It isn't good or bad, it just is.  I'm not making it for some art buying public, it's not going to a gallery, or even a show (although I have shown).  Of course I'd be lying if I said I didn't care about it not pleasing others.  It's wonderful when someone likes my work.  One highlight of that horrible night when R fainted and the ambulance was called was the enthusiasm of one of the paramedics for  my work.  Such a strange sensation to be chuffed on the one hand and worried on the other.

So I burned that last work and have started on another, shown below.  This photo, taken from our new phone, is a practice run.  Trying to learn how to take photos with the phone and also how to save them onto the computer.  So it's not a great photo but it gets the idea across.  The drawing is coming along.  Hope to upload a finished version - made more difficult because we don't have phone reception here so must take the photo then go elsewhere to send it to myself. 

But I do like this drawing.  Unlike the previous one.  If I don't muck it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment