Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Christmas in the Tweed

Our first Christmas in the Tweed.  Just Richard and I.  Not many presents either.   We have our big present.  We live here in this beautiful place.  Nevertheless we did get each other presents; nice token presents; perfume for me, scotch whiskey for him.  But the best present was what we did afterwards.  We drove to Mt. Warning and walked up part of the track. 

Old growth forests of any sort aren't common anymore so it is a thrill, a deep visceral thrill, to walk among ancient trees, to be a small being among old giants.  It is a sacred place.  The aborigines desire that Mt. Warning not be scaled but of course we don't respect that and people by the thousands climb it every year.  I'm not sure I want to climb to the top.  What I do want to do is follow the rainforest track until it ends and the cleared final section begins.  We didn't do that on Sunday but I will one day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment