Thursday, October 29, 2020

 Just have to record this:  Received a text last night from Fiona, the literary agent.  I'd sent her the first three chapters of the book a month or more ago.  And heard nothing.  Then I get the text, a text in which she asks for the rest of the book and says I have a lovely style of writing.  

When my friends in the Writers Group praise my writing I think they are being kind.  Despite assurances to the contrary (and it is not good of me to think them dishonest).  Fiona and I have met once.  She is not a friend although she may be one day - so when she says my stule of writing is lovely well...


Lovely!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I know how thrilling that kind of unbiased recognition or accreditation is! I remember when Sister Ignatius RSM, a world renowned artist and art teacher, said I had a strong sense of design and drama, how thrilling it was to hear! She said the one thing she couldn’t teach was ‘how to “see”’ and that I could ‘see’. It meant so much more coming from her than from people who knew me and liked me. I was nothing to her so it felt more “real” and not at all biased. I’m so looking forward to reading your book when it’s published. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And even though I can’t claim to be unbiased, I agree that you have a lovely way of phrasing things...you always have. I always have (and still do) love reading what you’ve written...whether it be a letter, a blog post, or an email...they are all wonderful to receive and read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! Just googled Sister Ignatius RSM. How did you meet her? Was she an art teacher of yours? Remember mom saying once, when I showed interest in art, I would never 'see' the same again. How right she was! Thanks for the kudos and optimism. Because I have an agent interested is no guarantee I'll be published. Still, like you said, just having an unbiased someone say nice things....well, ain't it grand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met her through one of her old students. I never had the good fortune to be her student. I did, however, have the distinct pleasure of being a peripheral friend who corresponded with her once or twice a year and who had luck with her almost as often, with our shared friend/student. She was a delightful soul and I wa a fortunate to have her critique my artwork. 😁 and yes, it will s grand! I have no doubt that at
    Some
    Point I. The near future you will be published...as the stranger said...you have a beautiful style of writing.

    ReplyDelete