Monday, September 5, 2011

Spent two days doing horse stuff. Peter rang. Monty had had a bad experience on the float with his bum under the bum bar and his head jammed on the divider and wouldn't (understandably!) load. Peter adores his horses and looks after them but is the first to admit they also intimidate him. Would I help? Monty had an appointment at the University on Friday. I went up Thursday so we'd have a day to practice. Nothing worse than having to try and load an unwilling horse when there's a deadline.

Went up with a loose plan of how I'd try and load him, a Parelli inspired ploy that has always worked in the past. Got there and Peter said he had a Parelli DVD on loading so we watched that before heading for the round yard. Watching the video changed my approach. Instead of leading him in I was going to attempt to drive him in. But first we had to catch him.

Unintentionally Monty's reluctance to be caught meant I got to experience Join Up. Have never done it before but by gum it worked. Had to drive him around the round yard again and again before he followed me into the center. Then when I lifted the halter off he'd go again. Peter said he always puts the rope around his neck and then halter him. I'm spoiled with my horses as I just walk out in the paddock and put a halter on. So I was determined to do it that way. That determination unfortunately set the tone.

When I got the halter on I started out slowly enough, walking him past the float and rewarding any try with a break. But Monty was determined not to go too close to the float. He'd push in with his right shoulder, swing his haunches and kick. Not while he was being led up close but when circling to the right. Very stiff and bulging rib cage to the right which made it easy for him to kick. There was a lot of kicking. And he wouldn't move away. He'd crowd in and I would make myself big and raise my arms to ask him to give way. He wouldn't budge so I'd slap both hands, one on his cheek, one on his neck to get him to give.

In hindsight I was too strong. Fear made me strong for a couple of times I was in a vulnerable position. I did get him with three feet on the ramp but, in Peter's words, to be expedient, it was best to lead him on – which was my first plan. Why didn't I stick with the first plan?

I arrived at 10, guess we were at the round yard by 11. At one thirty he was loaded. Loaded him many times, took him out many times. At the end he was standing quiet and relaxed while I scratched his back and Peter fed him wisps of hay.

The next morning I apologized to Peter for being too strong. He was very gracious and said I was only human. It wasn't as though I was beating Monty but sometimes to get him to change direction when he was roaring around I'd really lean on the lead rope to the point where my right arm is, two days later, still sore.

The day of Monty's appointment, went without a hitch. He loaded like a trooper as did Emmy, who was also going for a trim. They travelled well, although a bit sweaty as Peter's driveway is steep and curvy (takes 30 minutes to get to the bottom). Don't like those closed in floats. Horses generate so much heat, especially two in a float, that even with the side windows and overhead vents open, there isn't enough air flow. They both visibly relaxed after they were trimmed. They knew then what the trip was for. Who says horses are dumb? You could tell by their demeanour that they knew whatever they'd had to load on the float for was finished and they could relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment