Friday, September 16, 2011

Our farrier came out and did the horses in an introductory version of the 4 point trim. Introductory because he was familiar but not experienced with it and because we did not go too severe with the horses. Oddly enough, Balthazar is the only one who is foot sore. I would've thought Pagan, who we have to tiptoe around so as to not take too much away, would have been the sore one. Drifter's feet, being the worst shaped, looked the best. It will be interesting to compare his feet in 6 weeks with the shape they had pre-trim yesterday and the shape they have then. I'm very pleased with the effort. Lee did a good job.

Worked with Balthazar for ten minutes with some ground work yesterday. On the grass, he doesn't tiptoe on the grass. He did very well considering neither of us had done anything for two years. Plan to do a fair amount of ground work before I get on. I don't want to scare myself or him and suspect I'll be a bit more timid than I was two years ago. I'm almost 56 and know I don't bounce anymore. Wonder if I'll notice a difference in my riding since I've been doing yoga. I'm still one-sided but perhaps less so?

Have also put Balthazar on, starting yesterday as we didn't have any chaff until then, the Natural Horse Care diet. He always looks okay but he doesn't bloom as the others do. The biotin hasn't helped his feet in any appreciable way and his coat doesn't have the irridescence of Pagan or Drifter. Perhaps this new diet will help. It certainly helped Drifter with his greasy heel and grass acid nose (I'm sure there's a term for it but I don't know what it is. Drifter used to get scabs on his nose which I suspected at first was from the sun but realized later was from wet grass and grazing).

Coincidentally, after deciding I wanted to ride again, our neighbour came down, spontaneously, to tell Richard that I was welcome to ride anytime, anywhere on their land. Part of the reason I gave up riding was because of losing so many of the areas I used to ride, chiefly among them this magic mountain behind our property. They never said I couldn't ride there. I just assumed since they built their home on the adjoining ridge with a view of the entire mountain, they would want their privacy. That seems like a good sign. I will have to get Balthazar some easyboots but if that's what it takes, so be it. This means I can get on, go for a quiet burn in the wild as I used to do. Half of the pleasure of riding is just getting away from it all. There are places where I can't see or hear any sign of humans or human habitation. I can sit in the saddle and watch the bee eaters hunt for insects or listen to the silence while Balthazar grazes.

I'll write to Peter, tell him about playing with Balthazar, about the permission to ride, about the trimming. He has a Parelli clinic in October. He was keen to ride. I hope he remains so. Peter and Gabi have the best place to ride in the district. Even if you didn't go off his driveway his tracks are spectacular. Have already thought about floating Balthazar to the bottom of the driveway near the old Baines place, offloading him there and riding/walking (if he's not fit I'll get off and walk the steep bits) up to meet Peter on his horse. It would be a good day out and not hard on the horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment