Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cushings Disease and Drawing Disasters

There are four horses outside the window. Occasionally one, usually Drifter, looks at the house. They know I'm up so why have I not come out to let them through to breakfast. The peach paddock has become the Jenny Craig paddock. They are all too fat but locking them into the yards, although denying them food for the night, is just a bit tough. Its hard ground isn't conducive to a good night's sleep and although horses sleep standing up, for a really good sleep, they like to lie down.

Suspect Drifter has Cushing's disease. Peter is going to give me some Chaste Berry which has helped horses with Cushings. Anecdotally at least. A study was done that says it made no difference while lay people have used it with success. Want to give it a try before going to drugs which can have side effects (especially to the liver). Should've known last year that Drifter had Cushings. He grew enough hair to pass for a buffalo and shed it in the same way, in great strips. This winter he again grew a long hairy coat and although most of it has come away, not all. Another sign was the sweating. In winter. But I passed it off as a result of the extra long coat. Plus he's been dull and rather lack lustre in his bearing. This sign was particularly difficult to notice as Drifter has always been an extremely laid back, shall I say, bone lazy, horse. But now, even without the drug tests, I am willing to wager he has it. He's the right age (21) and Cushings usually manifests around age 20.

Cushings is a disease which results from a benignn tumour growing on the pituitary gland. It prevents the pituitary gland from releasing cortisol (if I remember correctly). There is no cure. So again, we have a horse that we know is doomed and will one day have to make that difficult decision. Until then we can find something, whether it's chaste berry or traditional medicine, to help him spend his last years in comfort.

Strange how the animals one shares one's life with are like family. I know it's trite to say so as people talk about their furred or feathered family but when I think I've known Drifter for 19 years, that's a bloody long time. We've been through a lot together. He's taught me more about humility than anyone else. Because he forgave me. Always, all my mistakes, my pique, my temper, impatience, dumb arse ideas and misplaced enthusiams, were borne with equine equanimity. He is a wise old soul in a rough red coat.

I haven't written about the latest painting because it's a disaster! Most of it I like; like the concept, the look, the atmosphere, even the workmanship but the blasted woman sitting in the chair has been reworked and reworked and reworked to the point of possibly no return. The paper has held up well but there are just so many times that colour and material (pencil, chalk pastel) can be removed before it is no longer workable. The drawing is okay but it's the darned colour. Does she pick up the colour of the big red chair and if she does, how much? Is she in deep shadow (in dim light and with eyes half closed, it suits the mood of the painting best. Unfortunately, I have been unable to duplicate that look in bright light with eyes wide open). I'm gettingn to the point of putting it away and starting on something else. Perhaps a solution will come when it isn't before me every day. And I need to be working on something and this is just reworking with no reward.

The previous painting is a write-off too. Thought I could cut up portions of it to keep but with a second look it isn't worth saving. Thankfully, it will make good fire starter for next winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment