Friday, November 18, 2011

Hadn't worked with Balthazar for two days as it was just too hot. Those two days off must have given him time to assimilate the non-mugging sessions. Played around for 20 minutes yesterday and he didn't attempt to mug once. The session wasn't a scintillating success other than the non-mugging but that's all right. He was a little distracted by the other horses, specifically Dakota who kept nickering. Fortunately or unfortunately, they have all done c/t so would like to have a play too.

Despite that there is much to work on. One of the things I am trying to instill is staying out on the circle. To do that he needs to move away from me when asked. He has to learn a cue, the cue being my upraised hands going towards him. Eventually that should be refined to a finger point. Also, he needs to learn to walk on, back up and trot. I was pleased to see him break into a trot after he'd done his usual reluctant trot which subsided into a walk. I didn't c/t so he broke into a trot again. That's the first time he's offered something. Anyway, although the session was a little lacklustre he didn't mug and that's a huge step.

I've noticed practicing yoga at home that music is starting to bother me. I've some quite lovely CD's; Eastern Meditation, harp and bird song mixed, summer storms complete with thunder and rain, all very soothing and conducive to a calm and meditative practice. I thought. At first I thought it was because I was in a 'mood' and music was just irritating. Now I think I've finally come to a point where the asanas and pranayama have to be done by themselves. The music is a distraction. Can hardly believe I have reached a point where I voluntarily jettison a distraction. I will do almost anything to avoid having to finish something. When I worked it was easy to multi-task. I could do this and this and this and on the way to completing this and this and this, do this and this as well. Very busy. Works well in the work environment when there's much to be done and little time to do it in but isn't as successful at home.

Two days since writing the above. Worked with Balthazar yesterday. Because I've been unsure about whether to use pressure, ie a cue, and then build upon that or just wait for him to do something I've been a bit stuck. Yesterday I decided to just let him be, give no cues and try and shape any forward movement. It wasn't very successful. He gazed at the cattle on the ridge, he gazed at the horses over the road, he gazed at everything but me. When he did take a step I'd c/t but it was a long time between drinks. I couldn't heavily reinforce forward movement because there wasn't even a weight shift.

I realise there is a break in the chain of communication. He looks to me for orders and so hasn't learned to offer anything yet. Despite the treats, it's not a game for two yet. To try something different I decided to take the halter off to see what he did. That was more successful. He'd start to walk away toward the yards where the other horses were then decide that treats lay in the other direction, with me. He circled (using the word loosely, it was more a trapezoid) around me and was c/t'd like mad. Unfortunately he did try and mug a bit. Thought we were past that but guess not. Anyway, we played around with the circling, him choosing the direction and shape of the *circle* and I rewarded everything. When he walked away, seeming to lose interest (although he was on the point of changing his mind and coming back) I quit. It will be interesting to see what eventuates. For us to proceed Balthazar has to recognise that he is a free agent who can choose to play and offer behaviours.

No comments:

Post a Comment