Saturday, August 2, 2014

I took the bull by the horns  and have volunteered to tutor immigrants in conversational English.  Normally I would have said no without having to think about it.  I met Regina at the bickies and coffee mini-wake after Roger's funeral.  Regina coordinates the Lockyer Multicultural Centre (I think).  She asked me. 

While I was mulling it over I realized that Life puts things in your way for a reason and maybe saying Yes to Life makes more sense than saying no.  I didn't know I needed to tutor immigrants or it isn't something I would have sought as necessary yet it is, of course, perfect.  I'm insular, like solitude and my own business.  And the older I get the more these tendencies are calcifying into rigidity.  Not good.  So I thought I would say yes.  I can always quit.  It's voluntary.  It's not life or death but it might be good for me as well as helping others.  And, in the end, it's not about me, it's about them.  So I went.

About 22 immigrants turned up; Korean, Japanese, Bangladesh(ians?), Taiwanese, Malaysians, Sudanese and a woman from Oman.  These are the nationalities I managed to catch.  But I didn't listen to the stories of all 22 people so there may have been others.  We separated into groups.  I attached myself to Nola, a primary school teacher (the volunteers were all teachers or university lecturers - so these unselfish people work full time jobs then devote one evening a week to helping others).  We had 8 people, a great mixture of nationalities.  All of them young.  One young man on a bridging visa so he isn't allowed to work or go to school - but he can learn English with us because we cost nothing.  The Asians were backpackers with working visas doing it tough cutting lettuces on farms or packing vegetables in unheated sheds.  But they were educated people; a physics teacher, a biology teacher, a computer programmer among them.  Educated and with a strong desire to improve their English.

So it was good.  I found it hard, not because they were difficult.  They were lovely, laughter came easily to all of them.  And they were shy too and afraid they wouldn't do well.  Remember talking to Ellie and Louann, both Korean.  Conversatonal English is just that so we had a 3 way conversation.  Normally in a social situation like that when I feel a bit overwhelmed I just make some excuse and go away for a breather (why do I find interaction so hard?) but I couldn't because that's what it was all about. 

We're meeting on Tuesday (the tutors) as a curriculum must be created and a plan put into place.  Despite my protestations as to my ignorance (the only thing I've ever taught is beginning Tai Chi and with that I mostly just had to move, not speak), they seem to want me.  But then as there are 40 Bangladeshians due next week along with the originals we'll be seriously short-staffed.  Will just have to take it as it comes and not worry so damn much. 

And I do find their youth and enthusiasm engaging.  And their toughness.  The backpackers are entirely different to the asylum seekers.   The tutors were discussing how they would teach the Moslems.  Because we aren't equipped to separate the men and women, or to string a curtain down the middle of the classroom, they will have to be taught together.  They decided the best way would be to put the women in front and the men behind.  And there I will be; bareheaded, in trousers with my arms and neck showing (and in summer, legs) with these men thinking God knows what horrible things about the shamelessness of Western women.  Should be interesting. 

On a squealy fist pumping note, I won first place with my graphite drawing Birth of a Dryad at the Gatton Show.  Also best exhibit for 2 classes.  Even got a whimsical little trophy and $20.  Really made my day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment