Sunday, June 14, 2015

Not bad for an old chick

Conquering fear.  I am not afraid of heights but I am afraid of clambering over steep roofs, especially slippery iron roofs coated with dust that even rubber soled tennis shoes don't stick to.

We've been having problems with the fire, more smoke in the house than going up the chimney.  Last year, because of the possums exploring the chimney as a new hidey hole, sliding down into the fire box (unlit of course!) and being unable to get out again, we placed a wire mesh over the top.  Rather we had a strong young man experienced in roof walking, install it for us.  Over winter the mesh became encrusted with creosote.  Had to come off.

Rang a fellow that's done odd jobs for us before (like lifting huge rocks from the bottom of the goldfish pond - he'll have us to thank for his hemorrhoids in later life) but he couldn't come until next week.  What to do. 

Well, there's me.

So yesterday I got on the roof and realised I couldn't just climb straight up to the chimney and chisel the mesh free.  I got to the chimney but every pore of my body had turned into a suction cup and even then I was sliding down the roof.  Not a good feeling.  Had to use exposed roofing nail heads to catch (and rip) my tennis shoes on.

Thought about it overnight.  If I climbed up the ridge line and then slid down to the chimney I could brace myself either by wrapping my legs around it or propping myself with my feet, to free both hands to work the chisel.  Which is exactly what I did.

And I'm very grateful to yoga for my strength and suppleness for of course I had to climb back to the ridge line to get down again.  Hooked my hands over the rounded top, hauled myself up, swung a leg over and voila!

Not bad for an old chick.

No comments:

Post a Comment