Tuesday, June 30, 2015

We could have sold the property, but we refused at the price offered.  I've learned much in the first skirmish.  Not to be so nice for one thing.  Not to be mean but not to try so hard.  When they made their very first ridiculously low offer, in an effort to help them achieve their dream and, of course, to sell the property, we 'met them halfway'. 

That was a mistake.  Our definition of halfway and their definition of halfway were very different.  They wanted half of a half of a half.  Which is why we refused.

Then I lay awake last night thinking that the contract we had signed (and which they refused) would be held in reserve to hold us to it even if we refused their newest offer.  Over a barrel, as it were so that we wouldn't be free to negotiate with anyone else.  I almost snatched the contract out of the realtor's hand to see what had been done to the price.  Happy Day!  They'd crossed out the $402,000 and written $379,500.  It was the original contract.  There was no new contract.  We were free!

When I said this to the realtor he looked at me like I was nuts.  This is normal he said.  And there I was thinking we'd have all kinds of trouble with these people if we did sell to them.  Dealing with them felt like trying to run through treacle.

I don't have the temperament to be a realtor or deal in the property market.  I work very hard on 'letting go' and living in the moment.  Very hard.  Am not very successful.

So now there's another possible buyer waiting in the wings, one who already has an unconditional contract on their home, who has two horse mad teenage daughters (currently attending a dressage school, lucky sods), and who thinks our house at first look was 'everything they were looking for'. 

The father is coming back Thursday, sans daughters, for another look.  The daughters will probably come later, for final approval.  A point in our favour is that the parents know the daughters are poised on the edge of leaving the nest so there is no point in getting a large house. 

I am going to the Tweed on Friday to look at two properties.  The Nobby Creek property, which has the most stunning views one could wish for but is 35 minutes away from the sea, and the Burringbar property, which is close to the sea but may need a bit of tweaking (dog fences, horse shelters, etc.).  The Nobby Creek property has everything even including a bunny pen (one can keep rabbits in NSW, not that we'll get any).  Richard is very much in favour of the NC property.  It IS very neat and tidy and any trees on the 6 acres are well away from the house.  I dislike the huge cavernous living room with kitchen in one corner.  Butt ugly.  And the green paint job is icky too but it does have all wood floors.

Oh, I could go on and describe the two properties for what good it will do.  Must see them.  I'm just glad to have a break away, maybe get a good nights sleep.  Can't remember when I've slept well.  Partly due to Richard, partly due to worry.  And, if I'm honest, partly due to a particularly large and heavy Siamese sleeping on my legs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment