Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Two more crows arrived today.  They are flighted, wild and very skittish.  Karen has been looking after them for a few weeks.  I'll keep them for a few weeks, let them strengthen their flight muscles while they panic trying to get away from me.  The resident wild crows have already been talking to them which is great.  The galahs, sharing the other half of the double aviary, absolutely panicked when the crows were let go in the other half.  I'm sure they thought they were hawks put there to devour them.  They've settled down since this morning.

One of the crows has white in some of his flight feathers.  Hard to get a good look as they are so wild and panic fly/crash when I enter the aviary.    Have been in twice, once to put in a bowl of water and a second time to leave some food.  The black crow gobbled up most if not all of the food.  Not sure if the other one got any or not.  Will put out more food soon.  They have to get used to me at least to the point where I can put food and water in.  Don't want them injuring feathers or wings in their effort to get away from me.

Karen had a look at Edgar.  Thinks the wing might be deformed.  As I thought there is no broken bone to account for it.  She has no more idea than I whether he will fly or not.  Asked if the droopy wings are normal and she said yes, her crows also had trouble keeping them folded to their body when they were his age.  They are much older and look like adult crows save for a certain gangliness. 

Karen and I worked on a couple of art projects.  She is drawing a pencil sketch of one of her daughters.  I started another watercolour project involving a cat.  Am not using the techniques taught in the watercolour pencil book partly because I'm not using any pencils.  And I'm sure the way I'm doing is not the way watercolour should be used.  Nevertheless, so far so good.  I do like the subtlety of watercolour, the palest of pale shading.  Because it's so slow (I'm using the smallest brush - what is the number?  See, I never remember details like that) I can work the details.  So far, in mistakes I've made (and they've been legion) I've been able to mop up the offending bit with paper towel. 

Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment