Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hawk Attack

Had a near catastrophe yesterday afternoon. We opened the aviaries for the regular 'grazing of the galahs'. Marvin was in front of his aviary (he has to live separately as he beats up all the other galahs if he has the chance. His aviary is only 2 feet from the main galah aviary so although he can see he can't 'rough'). Fern and Obama were out and were in the little alley between the aviaries. Jack was also out. Luckily I was still nearby, removing empty veggie kebabs, food and water. Suddenly a hawk attacked a bar-shouldered dove in the alley. The dove crashed to the ground in a cloud of feathers while the hawk shot back into the sky. If I'd jumped I'd have been able to touch him. The birds screamed and climbed the aviary wire. R and I herded the birds back into their aviaries and then caught the dove. It had been ripped open from throat to under the wing exposing what shouldn't be exposed. I had several looks at it, weighing up whether this bird could be saved but each time I peeked it looked just too extensive. R put the dove down. It so easily could have been Fern or Obama. They were inches from the dove.

Now I am nervous about letting the birds out. They tend to separate. Obama and Fern go one way, Grevillea and Casuarina another. Marvin mostly sticks with me. Jack, being a large white cockatoo, would not tempt a little kestrel or goshawk but even he would be at risk from a kite or eagle. I wasn't game to let them out so picked them bindi-eyes instead. I know I'll let them out again. I guess it's just a reminder not to be as lax as I've been. I've been quite content for the birds to wander off into the paddock. I can see them but I'm not right there with them. This has to stop. If they're out they must be guarded. I must be vigilant - not just with my ears as I've always taken note of warning calls but with my eyes as well.

Dream: I am driving into town at night coming around the curve near Primac. I have been smoking dope and am wary of being pulled over by the police. No one is about. I am going to the surgery to pick up sympathy cards. I haven't had time to write them at work so I'll take them home and do them where there are no interruptions. (this part is true, I haven't had time to send out 8 sympathy cards for deceased pets). The surgery is different. It's a house but a house set down from the road. M and A are peering out. There have been rowdy groups of youths on the street. They are keeping quiet, the lights are off. A lets me in. M is in a bare white room. The surgery as I know it doesn't exist, it is just this strange cold little sunken house. I leave (with the cards?) and start to walk back up the road, around the curve to where I've left the car. It is quiet and lit by moonlight. Suddenly Drifter is with me. M said that with the cancer he has he'll only live three more years (Drifter is cancer free). Drifter is more like a hairy friend than a horse. I am grateful for his warmth and proximity. He gives me a slobbery grass-scented kiss on the lips. I wake up.

Retrieving session with Dimitri this morning. He was on alert too much to do very well. It was okay but his mind and attention were elsewhere. That is one problem with doing it on the verandah; every alarm call, every unidentified noise and rustle is heard and noted by the birds.

Jack is almost back to his normal self. A couple of days ago, when Algernon had returned for a 2 day visit after missing for 10 (Nidji has been missing for 2 days now) Jack was very territorial. Whether it was that or some other reason, Jack was in a foul attacking mood. Very aggressive, very touchy. So we just leave him alone. You can't convince him otherwise so it's best not to put yourself or him in a position where you've got to defend yourself. Just causes disharmony.

One morning I let Jack out so that I could get his food in. He trundled around beneath the gazebo, walked completely around the aviaries and then, perhaps because I was busy getting food and was ignoring him, he decided to charge. I could only retreat (which is not good but what other option is there when there is no warning?). Jack is more interesting and, despite his curmudgeonly behaviour, more lovable than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment