Tuesday, December 22, 2015

watercolour and graphite and ink

One way to overcome my art paralysis, which occurs because of wanting things to be perfect and not make mistakes, is to teach myself watercolour.  Have always been terrified of watercolour.  The ultimate anal retentive bugaboo; uncontrollable watercolour.  Watercolour that dribbles and drips, runs and leaks, smears and smudges.  Watercolour that works from dark to light so you'd better decide where your highlights are because once painted you can't change your mind.


Happily with my book collecting tendencies I have instruction.  Actually thought I'd start with water soluble coloured pencils.  The resulting disaster shown on the previous post.  Figured if I did an exercise a day from Painting with Water-Soluble Coloured Pencils by Gary Greene I'd have to improve.  Plus, it doesn't hurt to form good working habits.  As it is I'm a bit haphazard in my approach to art.


And time is running out.  I'm 60 and if I want to learn how to draw/paint I'd better get at it.  (A sad comment on getting older.  Went to the local reject shop looking for cheap watercolour brushes.  At the checkout the young man said that if I had a Seniors Card I'd get a discount.  That was sad enough.  What was sadder was that I did indeed have a Seniors Card to produce!  There is no escape.  Old age and death awaits and the clock is ticking.


Anyway, I have finished a drawing. It's mostly graphite with some ink.  The photo has cut off parts of it.  One day I'll learn to take good photos with a good camera.  It's called Metamorphosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment