Monday, March 7, 2016

Edgar the Free, sort of

Edgar is a free bird ... sort of.  He hated being confined to the aviary at night.  As soon as the door closed he grumbled, whined and called continuously until dark and began again at first light in the morning.  Of course he isn't free as he hasn't shown the slightest skill in food foraging and is completely dependent upon me for food.

He is growing in confidence and skill with flying.  I think he's almost got it and then he demonstrates he hasn't by flying into the side of the house this morning.  Otherwise he is going from tree to tree, from tree to top of aviary and top of aviary to ground to be fed inside the aviary.  (I think it is worth keeping that habit going as,  if we were to suddenly sell the house, he has to come with us when we move). 

Edgar is a handsome and healthy bird.  The right wing droops a little when he is relaxed and is still about 6 inches shorter than the left.  He flies well but hasn't shown the desire to fly high and long so don't know whether it's because there's no need or because he cannot.  I do feel sorry for him as he should be with other crows and here he is on his own with us.  I tell him every day what a marvelous little being he is and try to convey how much I love him but I'm not a crow so what value is that to him?  I'm not outside all day every day either so most of the time he is on his own.  If I'm outside he hangs around, even running after me sometimes which is a bit dangerous as he's so quick and tends to get too close to my feet.  Other times I'm outside doing things and he is doing his own thing elsewhere so he's not emotionally dependent upon me in a clingy sort of way. 

Heck, I just don't know what to do with him.  I can't teach him crow and he can't learn human so guess we'll just bumble along as best we can.

1 comment:

  1. Never underestimate the power of the universe to create amazing bonds and relationships between two species. You be human and he can be crow and you might just end up being very pleasantly surprised at what a wonderful human/crow relationship looks like down the road. :)

    ReplyDelete