Wednesday, March 9, 2016

It Is What It Is and Natalia Pencil Drawing

Waiting to head into town for the second of our third weekly appointment with the gym.  How things have changed.  Richard used to have to wait for me while I made myself ready for an outing.  Now I wait for him.  No matter. 

It is what it is.  I love that sentence.  It is what it is.  Like Stein's 'A rose is a rose is a rose'.  Stating the obvious?  Obviously.  But what depths of meaning, like reflections of mirrors in other mirrors.  It is what it is.  One can rail, whine, complain, laugh, curse or cry but it still is what it is. 

I know that I colour situations, reality, with my opinions, formed through the particular coloured lenses I wear that day, or even that moment.  On a good happy day, when I am confident, well rested, with optimism wafting around me like a sweet perfume, minor annoyances aren't even annoying.  It is what it is.  On a bad day, when I am tired, worried, fearful, minor annoyances become major.  Yet it still is what it is.  My perceptions change, my reactions change but still it is what it is. 

So, I actually started this post to show an ongoing pencil sketch of Natalia.  But as usual, Sidetrack Sally, got sidetracked.   Nevertheless, here it is. 
Looking at a photo of my work is as telling as looking at it in a mirror.  There is obviously a bias in my vision which causes me to see things askew.  Rather like how I ride.  Yoga and the better familiarity with the unevenness of my body illustrates how crooked I am when I ride even though I feel straight.  At least photos and the mirror can help me to find the faults and correct them - if they are not too severe.  I've made changes since those photo.  I'll post the final version when it's complete.

At least it does look like Natalia.  Richard, her besotted 'Dad', should be well pleased. 

1 comment:

  1. Hah! "It is what it is" has long been one of our family favorites. Both liberating and exasperating, depending upon which side of it you're on (perspective), it is certainly accurate in any occasion. How delightful it to see that you have found it also :)

    ReplyDelete