Tuesday, September 8, 2020

 One of the Writers Group members has sold her novel, been optioned for another two and has had the first make the Banjo Prize shortlist.  Go Meg!  

Meg wrote an email inviting all members of the group to a celebration at a local restaurant.  Meg's agent is also attending.  Meg's agent is looking for new writers.  Meg's agent would like to see a synopsis of our novel plus the first three chapters.

As soon as I read this, stomach roiling, heart pounding, I did the classic displacement activity and began furiously playing solitaire.  Later when I calmed down I thought, why not?  What have I got to lose except some time and perhaps a few more chunks from my eggshell thin ego?

Coincidentally I'd only recently begun rereading my book.  I haven't worked on it since January, nor attended the Writers Group, so am out of touch,   Was pleased to find I'm still interested in the characters and what happens to them - which is a bit difficult as a synopsis should include the ending of the book.  I like happy endings so figure it all turns out ok just don't know how.

So I've started writing a synopsis.  Supposed to be between 5 and 600 words.  Watched a couple of videos on how to write one.  Then there are those rough first three chapters to polish into something a jaded book agent would want to see more of.  

Ordered a book a month ago, The Paris Review Interviews, Writers at Work, edited by George Plimpton Fifth series.  Bought it because it includes an interview with PG Wodehouse.  PGW could make 400 pages of notes before he even began writing!  His novels were planned from whoa to go.  Still, it's inspiring reading.  Timely too.  

Starting small.  Half an hour in the morning devoted to writing...at the moment reading with some synopsis practice thrown in. 

Okay, 30 minutes, but it is a start.   

No comments:

Post a Comment