Friday, January 1, 2021

 Lots more than 25 things to be grateful for.  Thought of heaps more after listing them yesterday.  Zoom, feet and legs to walk with, opposing thumbs, eyeglasses, Heritage and staff, cheap flip flops, pull tabs, many more but last but by no means least, My Bed!  I love my bed.  How many people in the world do not have a bed of their own.  A place which is clean and safe, has enough blankets, is comfortable and bug free, and has a roof over it?  I am not one to stay in bed once I'm awake but I do take a moment or two to listen to the birds (who start well before sunrise), and the crickets and look at the grey squares of the windows and the deep shadow of the black bean tree - and I am profoundly blessed to have a bed from which to survey my little predawn kingdom.  

Have written my 500 words - after not writing for two days.  Have also - hooray! - finally installed a working email on the lap top.  Now in the process of emailing all 43 chapters of the book.   A perfect backup and with a different email so if I get a virus on this computer which eats the book, it may be safe on the laptop.  

The last 3 visits to Richard have been characterized by him falling asleep.  He didn't know who I was today.  I had just called him by his full name to try and bring him back from the place he glazes out to so when I said do you know who I am, he answered Richard Alban Lutz.  At least he's not frightened of me.  He is placid while I comb his hair or put moo goo on his psoriasis or used a moistened paper towel to wipe the 'sleepy' stuff from his lashes.  

Last week I arrived and he was in his wheelchair facing the lobby doors.  In his lap were 3 booklets; In Times of Grief, An Inspirational Treasury of Spiritual Texts,  Nearing the End of Life, A guide for Relatives and Friends of the Dying, and finally, Respecting Patient Choices, Advance Care Planning, Taking Control of YOUR Health Journey.  

Seemed a bit callous to have them sitting on his lap but of course he doesn't read anymore.  On seeing them I wondered if the staff, who would be far more familiar with those who are dying than I, have seen something in him I don't.  To be honest, and as I shared with Tam the other day, I don't know why he needs to be here.  What 'life lessons' is he learning now?   His enjoyment of life is minimal - I assume.  He complained of being tired the other day.  Tired from sitting in a wheelchair or lying in a bed.  Would make me tired too.  I used to tease him when he complained of being tired and wanting to go back to bed, 'be careful of what you wish for' - and it's come true.  Now if he had the wits to know what has happened to him he would wish with all his soul, to be up and doing...anything.  

Yesterday brought out the photo album again.  Found a spare set of glasses so he could see but he wasn't interested.  The photo albums are a record of a foreign land which he has no memory of.  Even Loki Chien.   Not a ripple of interest.  But he holds mechanical Puss Puss when I put her in his arms.  He fell asleep with her purring - and it's a great purr.  

Read the booklets.  Sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment