Friday, October 2, 2009

Some progress with Dimitri

Have spent much of this hot day on the computer reading up on clicker training and viewing training videos. Realised that I had to do more (which in a funny way also means doing less - very Zen) to woo Dimitri. I've been using my voice as a clicker but thought perhaps it's not precise enough at a time when the bridge to the reward must be crystalline so dug out my Black Dog clicker. The noise spooked him at first but after I got close enough to hand feed him, I just clicked and treated, clicked and treated until it seemed he had the idea.
Then, after reading an article in the files of the bird click group about clicking and leaving the room for a shy bird I decided to incorporate that into our getting acquainted scenario. Dimitri, when I come through the door, will shuffle on his tree perch, head for the tallest spike branch and then, if I stay still, resume his position on the central crosspiece. I decided to click him when he stayed or, if he did move, to click and leave when he returned to his original position. I even clicked when he didn't move after I said hello (thus singling him out for attention and therefore making him nervous) without opening the door. Click and retreat, click and retreat.
I'm feeling a bit more hopeful as he hasn't leapt to the floor for a few days (I'm better at reading his body language and exiting fast). Also he seemed a little more relaxed with me around. I took my yoga mat out and did an hours yoga with him only a few feet away. It is so obvious what makes him anxious -- attention. Because I was practicing yoga, despite the odd body positions, he wasn't concerned because I wasn't focused on him. As soon as I make eye contact - bang, he's on red alert. Ditto the vacuuming, general cleaning, food and water replenishing for Tachimedes and Cornelius and, come to think of it, him. He likes being ignored. Of course, that's not ideal hence the c/t. All in all it was a good day.
I am following a blogger I found through bird click; fur'n'feathers'training. Obviously knowledgeable yet humble and still learning as her imbroglio with Peebles (think it was Peebles) proves. He bit her and instead of blaming him she looked at what's been happening in his life that might contribute to such unusual behaviour. We are so quick to blame the animals, aren't we? Ten years ago my approach to 'the kids' was entirely different, less informed for instance, than it is today. I loved them as I do now but I struggled with inexperience and ignorance. I assume in ten years time I will look back at this period as one of darkness and ignorance. At least I hope so for then it will mean I'm still learning.
In hindsight it was ridiculously easy to teach the galahs (Marvin and Fern) to step up, to 'eagle', to spin, say yes and no (no was harder) with c/t -- but based on my short acquaintance with Dimitri, galahs seem a bit more solid, less flighty - even when they're new and terrified, than a Little Corella. Actually, when I think of it, the galahs that came into care from the wild were quite ready to be really aggressive - 'one step closer and you're history' while Dimitri only retreats, or when he's in his cage in the morning, quietly hisses. When he's had an opportunity to bite me, he's only mouthed my fingers. He really is a gentle and sensitive soul and deserves the kindest, most patient and empathetic interaction. I am sure he will teach me far more than I will ever teach him. Oh, but I am excited and hopeful by the prospect.

1 comment:

  1. And here you are years ahead of me, a full decade or more because I would never have even attempted to train a wild animal, even for rehabilitation. I would've searched for a wild-life rehabilitator. And to do all that while working with the horses, and writing a book, and a blog, and taking care of a husband and a house....I am exhausted just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete