Saturday, October 10, 2009

writing, finally and yes, dimitri

At last I've done a little writing on the book. A very little but at least I've done something. It's been weeks since I've even looked at it. There was a pleasant surprise for as I was searching for a fact I'd written previously, to see where I'd left a certain person, of course I had to reread what I'd written - and damn, there was a fine descriptive sentence. Original too. Sometimes I surprise myself. Then, of course, I read on and there was a lot of dreg.
Part of the problem was I'd written a certain scene, a key player being found unconscious at a local country dance, and had no idea (and still don't) who or what or why they were found thus. I'm staying positive and trusting that my unconscious will supply the what who and why but at this point I can only write the description. Here they are, it looks like this, smells like this, these people were present and these were not. The book is not a whodunnit but a mystery was posed at the very beginning and this episode deepens it....so much so that I don't even know why - yet.
For the first book I used to go for walks and take a notebook and pencil with me, tucked into my back pocket. This was sans dogs. Walking is excellent for plot points, loose ends and signposts. Now, with the two whippets straining at the leash I can think of nothing other than being with them. I'd go for walks on my own but it seems somewhat selfish not to take them. So plot points and such must come while I'm actually at the computer. No, that's not entirely true. I will be doing other things; showering, vacuuming, anything that engages the body but not the mind and will think of something to further the story or remember something I must clarify or correct. It's a funny thing, the mind. It is not what we perceive it to be. It is much much more. Obviously it has a mind of its own -- if that's not too far fetched. While we think we are in control of what we're thinking and aware of who and what we are, it leads this separate hidden mysterious existence that makes its presence known by eureka moments - or clarified plot points.
Now, for Dimitri. More successful targeting with c/t. Then a minor, if not breakthrough, at least indicator of things to come. I took my chair and placed it in front of the tree perch so that the tree perch ladder rested on the floor near my left side. Dimitri quite freely made use of the ladder and also helped himself to the food near the base of the ladder while I was sitting there. How wonderful was that. I'd glance down at him eating and he'd look up at me. We were thisclose. Then I tried targeting while he was on the ground. He didn't beak the chop stick but he did look at it, knowing full well what was being asked, so I clicked and threw a seed down. It was very good, very much a step in the right direction. I am so chuffed.

1 comment:

  1. First book? You've finished one? Knock me over with a feather! Do you sleep? Seriously? With the number of paintings you do and all the other stuff you do....and the evidence of the things I've seen, and the things I've guessed at, and the hours you work, and how very clean the house is, and the number of animals you take care of and they are so very well cared for....how do you get so much done???????????????? OMG! I am such a sluggard in comparison! ok....I think I need to clean the oven so I can stick my head in.....

    ReplyDelete