Sunday, October 18, 2009

writing, dimitri

My days off started well with 1200 words written. Thought I was on a roll yet here it is Sunday and I've written nothing else. Emails but they don't count. Should just leave the darn thing open on the computer and add a word or two each time I walk by. Might have an entire sentence by the end of the day. Oh well. I could use the excuse of waiting for some details requested of someone in the know who hasn't replied yet. That doesn't really wash however for I can gloss over those details and return to them later. It's not that I'm even stuck. If not being stuck means I'm no worse off than before - in that I don't know what's going to happen next until I've written it. Not sure that's a good way to write but if I knew where the story was going from start to finish I wouldn't have any interest in writing it. Perhaps that's why so many American films are such a yawn. I already know what's going to happen. The journey to The End may be quite good but there are few surprises.
I'm gazing out at 5 fat horses on parched pasture. When will the rains come? Luckily we bought lots of hay so they are in good nick. The eldest gelding just had a piddle. He stretches out then stands on tiptoe with one hind foot. Such a delicate darling!
Dimitri is starting to come around. Oh, we still have our mini-panics when he has to get away but I notice generally he is accepting my presence more easily, more often and at closer proximity. It helps that at any sign of nervousness I'm outtathere. I think he's starting to figure out that he doesn't need to worry that I'll approach into his comfort zone unless he's...comfortable.
I've put what will be our training table between the tallest tree perch and his cage. Cut a nice bark-covered (very chewable) branch from the fallen wattle tree branch in the horse yards. He's already walked across it and jumped onto the table, which I thought might be problematic as it's so slick. When I tried to approach it put him off so I backed away and just left him to it. It is something new after all.
I've written to bird-click re Dimitri and have had two great replies. One of them directed me to a file on bird-click which I hadn't seen (actually I had trouble even finding it which in hindsight seems rather daft - it was right there). Anyway, this woman trained a feather-picked wild goffins 'too. He could have been regarded as a hopeless case but this woman, with patience, experience and c/t, brought him around to the point where he is fully feathered and happily re-homed. I suspect he may be a bit more courageous than Dimitri. Not that it really matters, the principles are the same. I've bookmarked the page and will use it as a guide.
Dimitri accidentally chomped into the pellets I put down before giving him seed at 8am. He didn't go back for a second bite but he did taste one so that's a start. He also had a bit of apple (as did Tachimedes) which is stupendous. So want him to have a more varied diet. Once the rains come and things start growing again he can have choice bits of stuff from outside. Not that my efforts have been very successful. I've offered him the same things the galahs eat and he takes no notice. But even those small morsels have dried up and died. It was interesting to note that with the increase of training, the goffins ate a bigger variety of foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment