Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Had a terrific session with Balthazar last night. I let myself get too stressed about a less than perfect training cycle. Should be less hard on myself and give both of us TIME. Have always wanted everything perfect straight away. Comes from living the good life all my life. Spoiled. Anyway, Balthazar was much better. Yes, I did have to up the pressure to get him to trot but once he was trotting the glitches smoothed out. We had better departs, he even gives a little jump in the front to start the trot. Not quite a nano-rear but he has to use his hindquarters to do so and anything that gets him off the front end and onto the back is a good thing. One problem we do have, which we've always had, is his very visible excitement in the pizzle department. Why carrots are so arousing is beyond me. Sometimes when being ridden with lots of carrot reinforcement he even begins to 'sound' like a stallion courting a mare before the coup de etat. He's not quite so bold on the ground but he does nicker alot and stay visibly excited, to the point where trot departs are impossible because it is out and interfering. I've tried to join the click that teaches on Yahoo groups but haven't heard back yet. Wonder if other people have this particular phenomemon and if so, what they do about it. Drifter was the same. Don't remember that Dakota or Pagan were much of a problem. I mean, they are all gelded. That sort of thing shouldn't happen, although I do see them enjoying themselves occasionally. Anyway, we just have to work around it. Once it's been withdrawn is the best time to work on gait changes. Just hard (no pun intended) to give alot of reinforcement for good work without it rearing it's ugly head (pun intended). Peter suggested I try licorice as a treat. Wow, what a revelation. Balthazar became quite predatory. He watched like a hawk when I game some to the others. Drifter, as usual, stuck his nose up and said I'm not having any. Pagan and Dakota were equally pleased. Balthazar however, was in Mach III Enjoyment Mode. Would be nice to use it as a c/t treat but as it's chewy it takes too long. Will use it as a jackpot piece for a job really well done. Haven't written anything on art. Have about finished the work started with the ink dripped onto wet watercolour paper. It's a but busy and I'm not entirely pleased with it but it's been a good learning process. There are parts I quite like, images half seen which are brought out but because the images are from chance, there's no cohesive theme that I could find and make work. It's a hodgepodge. Used ink, chalk and oil pastel, pen and coloured pencil. Think I've done all I can with it. Time to start on something else, what that might be I have no idea. But have to do something. I'm always better in myself when I've got a project going. I don't want to move but part of me would love to have a small private studio. A place where I could make a mess and leave it. Where I could spread out and breathe. Oh, and large enough for a stereo and a yoga mat.

No comments:

Post a Comment