Friday, February 1, 2013

No Cornelius but Facebook Aplenty

      No sign of Cornelius.  In the predawn heard mickey birds harrassing something.  Was it Cornelius?  Not only is he at the mercy of the elements and predators, he would be attacked just because he looks different, small and bright yellow.  It sounds cruel but I hope he is already dead.  Better a quick death than a lingering one. 
      Over 180mm of rain in 24 hours - and we got less rain than most people.  Some gauges registered 300 to 500 mm.  Had a phone call from neighbours to see how much rain we had.  There's always a friendly competition  to see who had the most rain.  They were 50mm short.  The neighbour suggested I check out Facebook to see local flood photos.
      Facebook.  The principle is great, a way to stay in touch with friends, to see what they are doing and keep them up to date with yours.  So why do I loathe it so much?   It says some not very complimentary things about me that I dislike it so.  I want to like it.  I want to snuggle comfortably into the digital bosom.  It seems so normal for everyone else.  They read and post and stay in touch, these lovely normal  people.  I reactivate my account and dive in like an osprey diving for fish.  Get in and get out.  That's my motto.  Why?  It's the pull of it.  Facebook is a sucking vortex of need.  The more friends you have the more obligated you are to keep up and all that keeping up entails.
      But the keeping up is by necessity a superficial exercise.  When I dove in the first thing to meet my eye, actually the first two things were photos of food.  It's not like every interaction with a friend has to be about the meaning of life but food photos?  Yet having seen them one should comment on how delicious they look, shouldn't one?  I moved on.
      The second photo was of a naked man being passed overhead overhand in a nosh pit full of women.  He was face down.  The expressions on the faces of the women ranged from disgust to gaped mouth joy.  I moved on. 
       Don't know if it's still there but there used to be a question on my Facebook homepage.  'What are you doing right now?"  Well, what do you think I'm doing?  I'm on Facebook, you ninny! The point being you are supposed to share with all your friends what you've been up to.  Never felt right about that. It's like saying 'Look at me!  Validate me!  I NEED your attention to know that I'm worthy.'  Also, unless I'm riding a stroppy horse or trying to translate a brilliant idea onto canvas or having a fight with Richard or losing a little yellow bird to a storm (and isn't that a bid for sympathy? sympathy that is compelled by FB etiquette between me and all my friends?) what I'm doing 'right now' isn't newsworthy.  As much as I like my friends, much of what they put on FB is boring.  I'm not good at feigning excitement where I feel none.  Virtual head patting - and aren't you a bright little boy/girl? 
     If writing the above makes me a bitch, perhaps I am.  FB has it's uses.  If we ever need a revolution I'll be on it.  Ditto news during natural disasters.  Otherwise I move on. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment