Wednesday, December 16, 2020

 'Throughout her life, O’Keeffe desired freedom—from artistic trends, from the pressures of the mainstream art world, from the fetters of a male-dominated society. And it was by bucking expectations that she made a unique and revolutionary body of work. “I believe in having everything and doing everything you want,” she once wrote, “if you really want to—and if you can in any possible way.” Indeed, O’Keeffe lived her dream uncompromisingly and ecstatically. To this day, she continues to inspire others to do the same.'  Alexxa Gotthardt Artsy.net

 

GOK was the first artist I fell  in love with.  I'm still in love with her.  And now, at 65, when I sit on the deck at end of day and revel in my freedom, I begin to understand the absolute joy of solitude.   And the joy of trying to bring my own vision into reality. 

I'm not there yet.  There's much more to do but now I have a schedule, which I work to preserve, I write for a couple of hours in the afternoon and draw at night.  I'm not as consistent as I could be with the art.  I get tired or am involved in a good book so make the easier choice of not doing rather than doing.  Still, the buzz I get when I have worked on a drawing and get to see it first thing the next morning, is pure pleasure.  

Flood waters yesterday.  An exhausted cry for help from Jilleen who runs the Farm.  The horses had got out, fences down, horses cornered, brought back onto property, all without a scratch.  I couldn't have helped because the bridge was under water.  But I could go out, after the water receded, to clean the stalls and rake the breezeway.  So no writing.  

Thought no one was walking with me yesterday so packed a little notebook and pen to try and resolve some of the questions arising from The Levelling.  Walking, that two beat, two sides of the brain, rhythm is conducive to creative problem solving.  Alas, but nice, a friend was waiting at the bottom of the driveway.  This Thursday is the last AITS for the year.  Won't meet again until middle of January.  People going away for holidays.  I can hunker down, free from social engagements to try and make a dent in the book.  When I get writing with consistency I can sometimes get a 'run' which is fun.  

Anyway, see what's what.  Might meet Fiona for contract signing this Friday.  Think it might be a good idea to get to know one another a bit as she'll be my agent. 

"My agent"  has a nice ring.  Smile.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I’m so happy for you and so excited to read this book when it’s done! 🤗🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Pretty chuffed I must say. But she still has to sell it. Well, no. First, I have to finish it!:)

      Delete