Tuesday, December 1, 2020

 I thought we were winning, slowly, the battle with pyelonephritis.  Matisse was eating, not a lot but steadily.  His weight had stabilized.  He semed happy enough - not energetic, not his usual self, but contained and comfortable.  

This morning he is not interested in food.  He didn't eat overnight and there was frothy vomit on the floor.

I suppose I should've been warned because of the difficulties with eating.  Every day I have sat with him, encouraging him to eat one kibble at a time.  Lots of praise and petting - and he'd look up at me with a 'is this what you want?' look.  Then after that initial encouragement he would eat on hs own; just a nibble here and there through the day but by the end of it having perhaps 3 tablespoons of dry and half a tin of wet.  He wasn't losing weight, his coat looked good, his 3rd eyelid had disappeared.  I thought it was just a matter of time, that it was taking longer because of his age and the nature of the infection.

Now...if he doesn't improve - not taking him back to the vets for another couple of days on fluids? more a/b injections (he's been getting his a/b meds twice daily).  What good would that do?  If it hasn't worked the first time time, why would it work the next?

I'm gutted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment