Friday, August 14, 2020

 Saw Richard today for the first time in two weeks.  I was kept waiting while he was toileted and then given a shave.  He's pale from lack of sun although he says he gets outside every day.  The psoriasis is rampant - and he didn't remember he was told Heritage was in lockdown - by staff, by me on the phone, by me in the postcard I sent on the Monday after the lockdown began.  He thought I'd just stopped coming.  Kept wanting me to come closer.  We sat outside (guests can now sit on the patio).  I held his hand, hugged him, stroked his arrm, kissed his forehead.  He misses sleeping with me.  Says he's going to come home.  Says if he doesn't get out of there he'll go crazy.  

What can I say?  He can't come home.  He is less 'present' than before, less in control of his bodily functions, less mobile, less able to get up on his own (he tried while I was there).  One of the staff said some days he's more mobile, walks (with walker) a bit better, other days he's only safe in a wheelchair.  His eyes were fixed on the middle distance, had trouble making eye contact with me.  Not out of shyness or lack of interest, it's just the LBD and Parky.

 He had lunch, they brought him a tray.  I cut up his food.  Fed him too although he managed the chips okay.  He accepted I had to leave.  I'd been there two hours and had to have my lunch.    

He's not a master of the wheelchair.  Pushes the wheels forwards with tiny pushes, doesn't grasp the concept of gripping further up and pushing down.  

To my shame I am so relieved when I leave.  There is a smell to me after - not of poo or disenfectant or anything biologically icky - but something I find repellent.  Can't wait to get outside and fill my lungs with unfiltered air, to fill my eyes with distant horizons.  Yes, I can well understand he may be going crazy.  I would.  God help me, I would.

3 comments:

  1. I’m praying for you both, but I think it’s time I start praying for Richard’s quick mental decline. As sad as it will be for you, if he’s unaware he won’t feel so trapped. What a dreadful disease! Parkinson’s is the kinder of the two and it’s not particularly kind. My heart aches for you both.

    I think I know the smell you mention; I think it’s the smell of slow physical decay, hopelessness and impending death...it’s peculiar to nursing homes and some hospital areas. It’s cloying and disturbing and isn’t quickly replaced by fresh air. It seems to get into your pores and sticks to you for far too long even after you leave the premises. That smell is what has always kept me from doing more community service work at nursing homes.

    Sending you love and hopefully some strength from the other side of the world. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And thanks for validating 'that smell'. Added to the claustrophobia and just the damn fact he's in a 'home'.... Wonder if my memories of Richard will be primarily of him now and not him 'then'. There's a picture on the wall I look to remind me of how he was. And I need that visual reminder because I'm forgetting. Thanks for your prayers and good thoughts, Ryn. We need them. Hxx

      Delete
  2. In my experience, memories of now stick around for awhile because you are still living the horror and trauma of it. Once he is gone ( fully mentally or physically) your memories of him healthy and happy will replace the awful ones. Keep pics from happy times where you can see them, they’ll help you remember the good parts.

    ReplyDelete