Wednesday, February 17, 2021

 Teary.  Don't feel like writing.  As always went to see Richard.  He was asleep, deeply asleep.  Didn't respond to touch, the bedside light or his name.  The nurse said he barely stayed awake while they bathed and shaved him, that he only had a few spoonfuls of breakfast.  Sleeping more during the day is part of LBD.  That and the hallucinations and loss of memory etc etc etc.  

Richard sleeps much more than he used to.  Dozes off while I am with him and am silent for more than a minute or two.  Often I arrive and he's asleep in his chair.  Yesterday he made a lonely figure parked in front of the oversize tv in the communal living room.  Rows of empty chairs around him.  The others were playing a word game in a different section.  Richard's dementia keeps him from socializing.  He can't be understood nor does he understand.  

I try not to think what we've lost.  But sometimes...I miss him so much. 

3 comments:

  1. I’m so sorry, Holly—what a nightmare to have to struggle through. I k ow it probably won’t be much (if any) help, but maybe, when the thoughts of what you’ve lost kick in you can try to think about how lucky you were to have had him in your life for as long as you did. These diseases that take the brain first are so much more devastating than the ones that claim the body first....I think. Watching my grandma die from ALS was horrible. Watching my mom die from cancer was awful too. Losing my dad before he died to Alzheimer’s was harder on me than my mom and grandma. I think having his mind go when his body was otherwise sound hurt my heart more. For my mom and grandma, it’s almost a relief to see them set free from bodies that were decaying and no longer serving them. It’s hard to watch loved ones die slowly. My heart is with you through this painful time of loss and grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathy. My grief is a small thing in the world. We've all endured so much, especially when reaching a certain age. You've been through a lot too. I just succumb sometimes. Actually try not to think too much about 'then' as opposed to now, as it's just too damn painful. Most days I am truly ok. But then the grieving -and it is a grieving process - just has to break through a little. Probably keeps me sane to be sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It probably does keep you sane to be sad. We all deal with sorrow, loss & grief. I just want you to know that I’m there with you in spirit. My heart feels your heartache and I’m always sending you love and peace. ❤️

    ReplyDelete