Monday, February 1, 2021

 Each time I sit down to write I jump off a cliff.  Have to trust there is some sort of net.  Part of me envies those who write and know where they're going.  It's the fear which leads procrastination (CNN, Facebook, emails etc) and then I see the time and oh crap it's late and I'd better get started.  

Some days the writing is more like a tidying up.  There's a scene in existence and it's just writing into and out of that scene.  Other days, like yesterday and today, haven't got a clue so write to find out where I'm headed.  

Beyond this, the characters are filling out, becoming more interesting which means major rewrites when I get to that point.  Motivations are clearer, quirks, strengths and weaknesses - and the history which made them that way.  Have already written of this, I realize.  Guess it's just weighing on me.

The snake, my unwanted tenant, continues to live and poop in the shed.  Had no idea snake poo smells so bad and is such a tenacious stink.  Even after cleaning with disinfectants it still reeks.  Pretty positive he's a carpet python.  Probably a large one as I've seen the shedded skin.  But until I can plug the hole while he's out I'm stuffed.  If I prevent him from getting out he'll die and I don't want that - not only because I don't want to kill him but the stench of dead inaccessible snake is on a par with their poo.  

I could get a snake catcher or a carpenter - or both - to rip down all the plasterboard until we find him but what an expensive mess.  I'd catch him if I could get to him - and had a backup person to peel him off me and put him in a bag.

Spoke to Matt yesterday.  He said three separate studies found only 3% of snakes taken more than 100metres from their home survived.  They starve, they search for their home and don't eat or  they get depressed or become prey of other predators.  Which means over the years I'm guilty of the deaths of dozens of snakes I've caught and released away from the aviaries.  I never knew.

But some good news too.  Caught the little mouse making free with the shed kitchen.  Second attempt was successful.  S/he has been rehomed at Sweetman's park.  And mice are so adaptable he'll find a home quick smart.  Lots of food there and places to hide.

 Yesterday was the first day of the 2 meal a day diet.  Weight was starting to creep up on me (if I was a horse I'd be a 'good doer' shetland!).  Despite being pretty good with eating - no pigouts, etc. ounces were accumulating into pounds.  Uh huh.  So skipped breakfast and had lunch (my usual breakfast of fruit) around 12 and dinner around 8pm which means I fast about 16 hours.  Today is the second day.  Yesterday I weighed 56.3kg.  This morning 55.8.  Got the shakes around 3pm but not too bad.  Takes about a week for the body to adjust to the new regimen.  Last night wasn't difficult although I was undeniably hungry by 8pm.  

A couple of years ago I tried the semi-fasting (under 500 calories) for 2 days a week diet but those two days always felt a bit icky.  This is much easier and it's a lifestyle I can keep permanently.  Hell for about 30 years breakfast was coffee and a cigarette!  This is a piece of cake....wait, NO CAKE!


No comments:

Post a Comment