Wednesday, February 24, 2021

 When I arrived at Heritage today, Mikaela in tow, I couldn't see Richard.  He's a head taller than anyone there so even though one of the staff motioned to the group gathered in the living room, I assumed they'd got it wrong.  Trotted down to Richard's room.  He wasn't there either nor was he in the tea nook so back I went to the living room.  One of the staff pointed him out to me.  He was in one of those thickly padded saloon chair bed things on wheels, the contraption where those who are really bad wind up.  

Tracey had tried to head me off at the pass, saying Rachel wanted to see me.  She found Rachel but Rachel was busy with another client.  It was all in Tracey's eyes but I didn't heed the difference.  I just assumed there'd been another 'incident' where Richard grabbed one of the staff by the arm which he does if he feels threatened.  But no, they were trying to warn me of the change before I saw him.

The change has been made because his psoriasis has flared up again and the skin on his bum is fragile.  I understand.  But they have also changed where he'll be fed.  He's moved from the regular dining room to the room where they hand feed them.  I've had trouble feeding him too, having to demonstrate what to do with food by eating myself.  

And then there's the sleeping.  He sleeps a lot.  Yesterday I only stayed with him for a short while as he couldn't be roused.  He'd had another day like that - where he basically sleeps through bathing and shaving and breakfast.  

The major causes of death with LBD patients is Failure to Thrive and pneumonia.  He's failing to thrive now and with the bed thing, even though it can be put in a sitting position, it seems pneumonia has suddenly become a possibility.

I've written to the boys, his sister and Helen about these latest developments.  And I've had a good cry.  Well, several good cries.  Tears in front of Richard too but he was too sleepy to notice.  The only time he perked up was when I said drug squad.  The police helicopter hovered very low over the property today. Apparently this is the season when marijuana crops are visible so they  employ helicopters to look for them.  This property would be ideal - but all they saw was a puzzled woman and half a dozen freaked out galahs.

Don't do drugs anymore but if there was a time where I wouldn't mind losing myself for a bit this would be that time.

2 comments: