Sunday, November 26, 2017

Post 19 of 92

3:13pm.  Watched a program last night about abdominal fat and its link with the development of type two diabetes.  Dr. Michael Mosley was on Insight talking about food, fat, diets and diabetes.

I'm not obese but I do have abdominal fat, more so than ever before.  My body has changed quite a bit since menopause although my weight is roughly the same.  I have muscles from yoga, the gym and lots of walking but not much of a waist.  In fact the bulge of my stomach is starting to rival the bulge of my bust. 

Not a good look.

Nor a good feel.  For a long time now I have been less than pleased with myself for my lack of willpower.  Why have I got this gut when I eat well and exercise a lot.  Easy answer.  Too much of a good thing, or in this case, many good things.  Since learning to cook, most of my meals, although vegan, or nearly vegan (honey might sweeten) are tasty, even delicious.  (I did have a spectacular disaster a few nights ago however).  So I have large helpings of creamy cashew kale or vegan caesar salad or spicy coconut peas and rice or whatever else is going.  Beyond that, I snack afterwards; roasted almonds with grapes, a rice cracker with honey, carrots dipped in soy wasabi and mayonnaise sauce.  Even writing this I am ashamed all over again.  What a Guts who deservedly now has a gut.  And almost always feels bloated.

My sister is diabetic.  Abdominal fat puts me at risk too.  What to do?

Two days a week of 500 calories or less.  Easy. 

Wasn't hungry for breakfast, still feeling bloated from the night before.  Lunch a bowl of carrots with soy sauce and wasabi dip.  We drove to Brunswick Heads (with Mikaela, bless her well behaved little self) and had Earl Grey tea at a cafe for smoko.  Tea will be more carrots or celery or both, perhaps with some chopped cabbage.  Plus two coffees with honey.  Still comes to under 500 calories and I'm not hungry. 

More than that a weight has lifted because of finally taking control of myself.  I quit smoking over 6 years ago.  I do have willpower when I chose to use it.  I can do this. 

Hell, I might be able to see my toes again!  3:28pm

No comments:

Post a Comment