Friday, May 1, 2020

Wondered before moving the horses how I would fit in an extra hour every day to go and feed them.  Oddly finding that extra hour has freed up time.  When all the hours of the day stretch before me to do the things I have to do, it takes all day to do them.  Now, out of bed with a purpose, although I've always been an early riser, I do the morning chores to try and leave by 8:30, 9 o'clock.  Home by 9:30, 10.  Do yoga and still have an hour or more to do some of the many ongoing chores - whippersnipping,  window washing, sweeping, cobwebbing, aviary cleaning and repair (the galahs are always destroying their perches), or, like yesterday, washing and waxing the cars -had to clean off the mold first!

 Richard tries to help but is pretty much ineffective now.  Some part of him is dismayed by that.  Today is our 30th anniversary.  He asked what I'd like for tea.  Before I had time to censor my mouth I said, but you can't cook!  And of course he can't.  Should've found a more diplomatic way to say it.  The thought was lovely and he used to be a good cook, far better than me, everything by taste and intuition.  Now he butters his toast with a fork.

So that an extra hour is necessary and quite a gift.

The real gift though is that hour mucking about with the Boys.  They've started to wait at the bottom of the hill which means I don't have to trek across the paddock to get their attention (strange how all the other horses in the 20 acres lift their heads and prick their ears when they see me while Pagan and Balthazar continue to graze) .  While they're having breakfast I run a quick brush and curry over them, check for any injuries or problems.  Balthazar was reacting to the wet grass with weepy scabs over the white skin of his muzzle.    All healed now with the use of Filta-bac.  He's put on weight and is quite glossy again.  Happy horses and happy me.  My natural element, just hanging out with them and having a few quiet minutes alone.  Does wonder for my peace of mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment